I came up with this using the idea of peas and onions, a common vegetable combo. I added mushrooms in since I am a big fan of them and enjoy them sometimes with peas and onions as a vegetable side dish. Add in some rice and seasonings and you have a heartier, gluten free side dish that can also be a light meal. Also makes for a quick dish to make when you don’t have a lot of time to cook.
Mushroom, Pea, and Onion Brown Rice Pilaf – Serves 4 as a light meal, serves 6-8 as a side dish.
- 4 cups of cooked brown rice
- 2 cups of chicken or vegetable broth (I used vegetable broth)
- 2 cups of frozen or canned green peas (I used frozen peas)
- 1 medium onion
- 1 6 to 8 oz container of fresh, sliced mushrooms
- 2 TBSP of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 TBSP of grated Parmesan cheese (The kind from the pasta aisle is fine)
- 1/4 tsp of black pepper
- 1/4 tsp of sea salt
- 1/4 tsp of garlic powder
1. Cook rice according to directions on the bag or box and make 2 cups of cooked rice.
2. Finely dice white onion into smaller sized, bite sized pieces with a knife or food processor.
3. Add extra virgin olive oil to a large pan and add all remaining ingredients to the pan.
4. Cook vegetables on medium heat for 5 minutes or until mushrooms are fully cooked and are starting to brown. Onions will be fully cooked by the time the mushrooms are done.
5. Add rice to the pan and mix everything together. Cook for 2-3 more minutes, stirring everything together.
6. Serve and enjoy!
* This dish would be great served with additional vegetables and chicken, fish, or steak. This also can become a main dish with one of more of the following: diced chicken, shredded mozzarella cheese, crumbled bacon, etc.