I have always been a big fan of Italian food and I always cook an Italian style dish at least once a week. Growing up in an Italian neighborhood I had a lot of exposure to Italian food and pasta from a young age both from my family and the neighbors. While I was never served Chicken Parmesan without the breading as a child, later on as an adult I have had Chicken Parmesan that way a few times at Italian restaurants.
Now as someone who has been gluten free for over six months due to a gluten intolerance, this dish is one of the dishes that helps me to satisfy my common Italian food cravings. I had first done this recipe as a guest post over a year ago when I had my other recipe blog (the original post is http://healthyrunnerwife.com/2012/11/27/guest-post-grilled-chicken-parmesan-recipe-gluten-free-2/#comments). I had no idea I was going to end up finding out I was gluten intolerant in a matter of months and simply took the guest post as a challenge. I am glad to have this chicken dish now in my cooking arsenal. I think you all will enjoy this easy to throw together chicken dish. This is great with gluten free spaghetti and tomato sauce on the side or as a chicken dish with other side dishes. Here is Chicken Parmesan that chicken lovers whether gluten free or not can enjoy together.
Grilled Chicken Parmesan – Serves 4
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1/2 of a teaspoon of Italian seasoning
- 1 cup of tomato sauce
- ½ cup of part skim shredded mozzarella
- 1 Tablespoon of Parmesan Romano (the kind from the pasta aisle is fine, that is what I use)
- Coat large pan lightly with olive oil cooking spray.
- Place chicken in pan and season each piece with ¼ of a teaspoon of Italian seasoning.
- Cook chicken on low to medium heat for about 10-15 minutes or until juices run clear, flipping chicken halfway through.
- Set chicken aside on a plate and add tomato sauce to the pan. Make sure the pan is on low heat before adding the sauce to the pan.
- Put the chicken back in the pan. Make sure to coat both sides of chicken with tomato sauce.
- Top each piece of chicken with a light sprinkle of Parmesan Romano and 2 tablespoons of shredded mozzarella.
- Cover pan with lid and simmer the chicken in tomato sauce until the cheese melts (about 2-3 minutes).
- Serve with side dishes or gluten free pasta and enjoy!