Like many others this time of year, I am currently enjoying the leaves changing colors and the cooler weather. I also enjoy the seasonal foods like pumpkin, apples, and many other fall seasonal foods and treats. This rice pudding is one that showcases a seasonal fall food and can be dessert or breakfast. This pudding is basically pumpkin pie filling and rice pudding coming together and becoming a delicious dish of its own.
Pumpkin Spice Rice Pudding – Serves 2 to 4
- 3/4 cup of uncooked rice
- 1 1/2 cups of milk
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 2 eggs, whisked together
- 1 15 oz can of pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil in a large saucepan and stir the rice into the boiling water.
- Reduce the pan to low heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Drain rice and combine 1 1/2 cups of cooked rice, 1 cup of milk, pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, sugar, vanilla, and salt into a large saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat until thick and creamy, about 15 to 20 minutes. Be sure to stir the mixture every few minutes.
- Whisk eggs and remaining 1/2 cup of milk together.
- Stir in milk and egg mixture and cook for two more minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and allow pudding to cool in a large container for at least 1 hour in the refrigerator. Serve and enjoy!