I have noticed that many people have a preference for salty or sweet when it comes to snacks. I am more of a sweets person and often like to have something sweet for my evening snack/dessert after dinner. However, eating cookies, cake, candy, and other sweet treats are not something I want to be eating everyday for health reasons. On an average night I usually do healthier desserts like these baked apples. Baked apples are perfect for a healthier dessert that is delicious and takes care of that sweet craving. I have been making these for several years now in the fall and winter months when apples are in season and are cheaper to buy than most other fruits. These are great on their own or served with vanilla ice cream, vanilla yogurt (regular or Greek works), or whipped cream.
Sugar N Spice Baked Apples – Serves 2
- 2 apples
- 1 Tablespoon of dark brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice
- 1 Tablespoon of softened butter or margarine
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Wash and dry apples. Cut the apples in half and remove the core.
- Place apples on a small, non-stick cookie sheet with the cut, flat side facing up.
- Mix brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, and cinnamon together in a small bowl to make your sugar and spice mix.
- Spread the top of each apple with butter.
- Coat each apple half with the sugar and spice mix.
- Bake apples for 25-30 minutes or until apples are fork tender and soft.
- Serve on its own or with Vanilla ice cream, vanilla yogurt, or whipped cream and enjoy.