With the cold weather continuing and the holiday season being over, I have been trying to eat healthier and have also been getting tired of winter. This smoothie was my temporarily getaway from winter this morning. As someone that was born in the Spring, once the holidays are over, I look forward to Spring and wish for the rest of winter to be gone. Since fresh berries are very expensive in the winter and aren’t very fresh, I used frozen berries and milk in this smoothie. Frozen berries are often cheaper this time a year, I get mine from Trader Joe’s. I also used vanilla protein powder to give it the “cream” effect and to make me full longer. Just be sure to check the protein powder you buy for gluten, some brands are not gluten free. I used Designer Whey vanilla, which is gluten free and is sweetened with Stevia. This is perfect for a light breakfast or shared with someone as a snack or healthy dessert. Here is the recipe:
Berries and Cream Protein Smoothie – Makes 1 large smoothie or 2 smaller smoothies
- 2 cups of frozen mixed berries (my frozen blend had strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries)
- 1 1/2 cups of milk (any kind of milk will work)
- 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder
- Place frozen mixed berries and milk in the blender and puree until everything is blended together and all chunks of fruit are completely smooth. Feel free to add additional milk if you want your smoothie to be thinner.
- Add vanilla protein and blend until protein powder is completely blended with the smoothie mixture.
- Serve and enjoy!