Was trying to come up with a new chicken recipe to serve for dinner. At my house we mostly eat chicken for our meat since eat healthy food at home most of the time, chicken is cheaper than many other meats, and my husband is allergic to fish and shellfish. This chicken is great on its own with or without the cheese served with rice and veggies or can be used in Mexican style dishes such as chicken fajitas, chicken tacos using corn tortillas, in homemade chicken enchiladas, or as part of a homemade burrito bowl. It has flavor, but is mild in terms of spiciness.
Chili Lime Chicken – Serves 4
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts
- 2 Tablespoons of chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 lime
- 1/4 cup of shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Coat both sides of the chicken with chili powder, sea salt, and pepper.
- Spray a small baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Squeeze lime over the chicken.
- Bake chicken in the oven until chicken is heated through , about 20 minutes.
- Flip each chicken piece and top each piece of chicken with 1 Tablespoon of sharp cheddar cheese if using cheese.
- If using cheese, bake for 5 more minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Serve and enjoy!
Here is a chicken recipe that I often make, which goes well with rice and veggies. Also is a great way to spruce up chicken breasts and is great for those who like mushrooms a lot like I do.
Portabella Mushroom Italian Chicken – Serves 4
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1 1/3 cups of sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 2 Tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 4 Slices of part skim mozzarella cheese
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over low to medium heat. Place chicken in the skillet, and season with garlic powder, basil, sea salt, and black pepper on both sides. Cook 10-15 minutes or until juices run clear, flipping chicken halfway through. Set chicken aside on a plate and cover the plate to keep the chicken warm.
- Stir mushrooms into the skillet, and cook until tender, stirring them with a spoon to cook them evenly. Return chicken to skillet and top each piece of chicken with mushrooms and then with a slice of cheese (feel free to cut slice to fit each piece if needed) . Cover skillet, and continue cooking 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Serve with favorite side dishes and enjoy. Here is a picture of the chicken with brown rice and baby spinach.
I have always been a big fan of Italian food and I always cook an Italian style dish at least once a week. Growing up in an Italian neighborhood I had a lot of exposure to Italian food and pasta from a young age both from my family and the neighbors. While I was never served Chicken Parmesan without the breading as a child, later on as an adult I have had Chicken Parmesan that way a few times at Italian restaurants.
Now as someone who has been gluten free for over six months due to a gluten intolerance, this dish is one of the dishes that helps me to satisfy my common Italian food cravings. I had first done this recipe as a guest post over a year ago when I had my other recipe blog (the original post is http://healthyrunnerwife.com/2012/11/27/guest-post-grilled-chicken-parmesan-recipe-gluten-free-2/#comments). I had no idea I was going to end up finding out I was gluten intolerant in a matter of months and simply took the guest post as a challenge. I am glad to have this chicken dish now in my cooking arsenal. I think you all will enjoy this easy to throw together chicken dish. This is great with gluten free spaghetti and tomato sauce on the side or as a chicken dish with other side dishes. Here is Chicken Parmesan that chicken lovers whether gluten free or not can enjoy together.
Grilled Chicken Parmesan – Serves 4
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1/2 of a teaspoon of Italian seasoning
- 1 cup of tomato sauce
- ½ cup of part skim shredded mozzarella
- 1 Tablespoon of Parmesan Romano (the kind from the pasta aisle is fine, that is what I use)
- Coat large pan lightly with olive oil cooking spray.
- Place chicken in pan and season each piece with ¼ of a teaspoon of Italian seasoning.
- Cook chicken on low to medium heat for about 10-15 minutes or until juices run clear, flipping chicken halfway through.
- Set chicken aside on a plate and add tomato sauce to the pan. Make sure the pan is on low heat before adding the sauce to the pan.
- Put the chicken back in the pan. Make sure to coat both sides of chicken with tomato sauce.
- Top each piece of chicken with a light sprinkle of Parmesan Romano and 2 tablespoons of shredded mozzarella.
- Cover pan with lid and simmer the chicken in tomato sauce until the cheese melts (about 2-3 minutes).
- Serve with side dishes or gluten free pasta and enjoy!
I am dedicating this one to one of my oldest and best friends Susan who loves honey mustard, which I also happen to like a lot. I am not a fan of mayo and have always enjoyed mustard on my sandwiches, especially spicy and honey mustard. Unfortunately, sandwiches are a rare food for me now since I am gluten intolerant and gluten free bread is expensive and sometimes not very good. However, with this chicken, I can enjoy mustard on something again. Enough of my complaining, here is the recipe:
Honey Mustard Chicken – Serves 4
* 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, thawed
* 1/4 cup of honey mustard dressing (Ken’s is Gluten Free and is what I used)
* 1 tablespoon of spicy mustard
* 1/8 teaspoon of black pepper
* Canola oil cooking spray
* 2 pieces of cooked bacon, crumbled or 2 Tablespoons of real bacon bits (optional)
1. Put honey mustard, spicy mustard, and black pepper in a small bowl and mix both of them together.
2. Coat chicken with honey mustard mixture one at a time. Make sure the chicken is thoroughly coated. Cover chicken and marinade chicken in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
3. Spray the pan with cooking spray and put chicken in a large pan over low to medium heat.
4. Cook 10-15 minutes or until juices run clear, flipping chicken halfway through.
5. If using bacon, cook bacon for 3-5 minutes in a or until crisp on medium-high heat in a small pan. Crumble bacon if needed after cooking.
6. Equally sprinkle bacon on top of each piece if using bacon and serve. This chicken is perfect as a sandwich on a GF hamburger roll (I recommend Udi’s or making your own) or served with your favorite side dishes. This chicke or use chicken in a salad, sandwich, or wrap with additional dressing. Enjoy!