Was trying to come up with a new chicken recipe to serve for dinner. At my house we mostly eat chicken for our meat since eat healthy food at home most of the time, chicken is cheaper than many other meats, and my husband is allergic to fish and shellfish. This chicken is great on its own with or without the cheese served with rice and veggies or can be used in Mexican style dishes such as chicken fajitas, chicken tacos using corn tortillas, in homemade chicken enchiladas, or as part of a homemade burrito bowl. It has flavor, but is mild in terms of spiciness.
Chili Lime Chicken – Serves 4
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts
- 2 Tablespoons of chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 lime
- 1/4 cup of shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Coat both sides of the chicken with chili powder, sea salt, and pepper.
- Spray a small baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Squeeze lime over the chicken.
- Bake chicken in the oven until chicken is heated through , about 20 minutes.
- Flip each chicken piece and top each piece of chicken with 1 Tablespoon of sharp cheddar cheese if using cheese.
- If using cheese, bake for 5 more minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Serve and enjoy!
Here is a chicken recipe that I often make, which goes well with rice and veggies. Also is a great way to spruce up chicken breasts and is great for those who like mushrooms a lot like I do.
Portabella Mushroom Italian Chicken – Serves 4
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1 1/3 cups of sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 2 Tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 4 Slices of part skim mozzarella cheese
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over low to medium heat. Place chicken in the skillet, and season with garlic powder, basil, sea salt, and black pepper on both sides. Cook 10-15 minutes or until juices run clear, flipping chicken halfway through. Set chicken aside on a plate and cover the plate to keep the chicken warm.
- Stir mushrooms into the skillet, and cook until tender, stirring them with a spoon to cook them evenly. Return chicken to skillet and top each piece of chicken with mushrooms and then with a slice of cheese (feel free to cut slice to fit each piece if needed) . Cover skillet, and continue cooking 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Serve with favorite side dishes and enjoy. Here is a picture of the chicken with brown rice and baby spinach.
I came up with this using the idea of peas and onions, a common vegetable combo. I added mushrooms in since I am a big fan of them and enjoy them sometimes with peas and onions as a vegetable side dish. Add in some rice and seasonings and you have a heartier, gluten free side dish that can also be a light meal. Also makes for a quick dish to make when you don’t have a lot of time to cook.
Mushroom, Pea, and Onion Brown Rice Pilaf – Serves 4 as a light meal, serves 6-8 as a side dish.
- 4 cups of cooked brown rice
- 2 cups of chicken or vegetable broth (I used vegetable broth)
- 2 cups of frozen or canned green peas (I used frozen peas)
- 1 medium onion
- 1 6 to 8 oz container of fresh, sliced mushrooms
- 2 TBSP of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 TBSP of grated Parmesan cheese (The kind from the pasta aisle is fine)
- 1/4 tsp of black pepper
- 1/4 tsp of sea salt
- 1/4 tsp of garlic powder
1. Cook rice according to directions on the bag or box and make 2 cups of cooked rice.
2. Finely dice white onion into smaller sized, bite sized pieces with a knife or food processor.
3. Add extra virgin olive oil to a large pan and add all remaining ingredients to the pan.
4. Cook vegetables on medium heat for 5 minutes or until mushrooms are fully cooked and are starting to brown. Onions will be fully cooked by the time the mushrooms are done.
5. Add rice to the pan and mix everything together. Cook for 2-3 more minutes, stirring everything together.
6. Serve and enjoy!
* This dish would be great served with additional vegetables and chicken, fish, or steak. This also can become a main dish with one of more of the following: diced chicken, shredded mozzarella cheese, crumbled bacon, etc.