I often look at recipes on various blogs as well as on recipe websites and Pinterest. One interesting and very easy recipe I kept seeing on Pinterest and found on various blogs was 7 Up biscuits. Since biscuits are usually filled with gluten, I decided to undertake making the gluten free version of them. Given that the gluten containing ingredient is Bisquick and there is a readily available gluten free Bisquick, I figured this was worth a try. Never mind the fact that I hadn’t had biscuits in nearly a year before I made these.
Both times that I have made these so far, my gluten eating husband also ate them and enjoyed them. He said he never would have guessed that they were gluten free. I made them the first time with gluten free Bisquick (definitely a good biscuit taste) and the second time with Bob’s Red Mill pancake mix (tasted more like corn muffins that time, but still great). Hope you enjoy these with chili, beef stew, and other meals as much as I have. I have also offered the option to turn these into biscuit muffins, which are great with butter and jam. These also store well in the refrigerator or freezer. Here is the recipe:
7 Up Biscuits – Makes 6 large biscuits or muffins or 9 smaller biscuits
- 2 cups of gluten free baking mix, biscuit mix, or pancake mix (like gluten free Bisquick)
- 1/2 cup of sour cream or plain Greek Yogurt
- 1/2 cup of lemon lime soda
- 1/4 cup of melted butter
- Preheat the oven to 450F.
- Melt butter in small saucepan on low heat until completely melted or in microwave for 20 to 30 seconds.
- Add butter to the bottom of a 9 inch square pan or a muffin pan (6 muffin kind).
- Add Baking mix into a large bowl.
- Add sour cream and lemon lime soda into the bowl.
- Mix everything together, the dough will be on the soft side.
- Roll or drop into 6 to 9 dough balls (depends how big you want your biscuits) into the square pan or muffin pan.
- Bake biscuits for 12 to 15 minutes or until tops begin to turn golden brown. Watch them carefully since they do cook at a high temperature.
- Serve and enjoy!